Why should you be interested?
A Senior Leadership position has opened in Tacoma due to an employee moving out of state. Rainier Recruiting has partnered with a a large marine and shipping terminal to find their next Director of Operations. This senior leadership role oversees the development and execution of operational goals while ensuring a high level of customer service, efficiency, productivity and safety.This company has hired multiple successful employees already from Rainier Recruiting who have reported that it is a very good company to work for. Passive candidates who are employed and curious to hear are more than welcome to have a “no-commitment” conversation with our Recruiting team about why this could be an exciting career opportunity.
Compensation: $145K - $200K base salary (negotiable based on experience) plus up to 25% bonus, with total OTE of $182, 500 - $245, 000 in the first year. Additional bonuses might be involved
Location: Tacoma, WA. This position works 80%-100% onsite in Tacoma, WA. There is some flexibility for remote or hybrid work. Relocation assistance is available for qualified candidates.
What this company offer you:
· Competitive compensation package with high bonus potential
· 100% company paid health insurance for all employees
· Paid Holidays
· Flexible PTO options
· 401(k) investment retirement account access
· The ability to shape the future of a large regional operation
· Opportunity to grow into more senior level roles with the company as we grow
· Act as the backup for the VP of Operations for the Operations Department
· Lead and manage Operational functions (marine, yard, gate and rail)
· Provides direction for the operations department, ensuring that productivity, safety regulations, customer satisfaction, compliance and efficiency standards are met
· Determine how changing business needs will affect the operations; and develops short and long-term business plans to achieve company operational goals and objectives
· Identifies operational goals, KPI’s and objectives for operations
· Effectively monitor and report on operational KPIs ensuring company performance expectations and customer needs are met.
· Interpret terminal performance analytics identifying trends; while continuously making improvements that will positively impact operations performance
· Manages the operations budget, identifies areas of cost reduction, when feasible
· Communicates areas of accountability and performance expectations for operation’s management staff to meet current and future business needs
· Ensures appropriate workforce levels are available to provide efficient operation
· Manages the interviewing and selection process for Operations management staff
· Develops, communicates, maintains, and improves operating and administrative procedures for consistent application
· Works closely with M&R to ensure the appropriate equipment allocation meets operational demands minimizing equipment downtime;
· Partners with Safety Director to actively champion and manage the company's safety program ensuring that all labor and staff comply with accident prevention/safety and workers compensation programs and procedures
· Works closely in the implementation in complex business-critical systems that impact operations TOS Systems like NAVIS, etc.
· Works closely with HR and Labor Relations regarding employment and labor law, company policy and procedures, and consistent application
· Act as the backup for Sr. Manager of Labor Relations to resolves labor grievances or disputes at the terminal level.
· Maintains positive relations with labor and union officials and that the Collective Bargaining Agreements associated to your workforce are understood and followed
· Actively participates in industry and other professional networks to ensure awareness of industry standards, trends, and best practices in order to strengthen organizational and technical knowledge.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor's Degree in Marine Administration, Transportation, Operations Management, Engineering, or equivalent experience working in management
· 8+ years of stevedore/terminal operations management experience
· 8+ years in a leadership role with demonstrated responsibility managing operations staff, union contracts and union labor
· Excellent communication and negotiation skills with proven ability to influence people at all levels of the organization
· Effectively communicates with union workforce and industry officials, customers and vendors in a fast-paced environment
· Formulating and implementing strategies, policies, and procedures
· Strong commitment to teamwork and a team-oriented environment, with a willingness to share knowledge and expedite the accomplishment of assigned tasks.
· Strong analytical and organizational skills.
· Experienced in running an agile team
· The ability to delegate, coach, and train a large operations team
· Demonstrate understanding of cargo stowage and stability
· Experience with financially managing a department budget and the impact of operations cost on the company
· Experience with computerized operational systems.
· The ability to analyze collective bargaining agreements and interpretation of intent, spirit, and terms of contract to apply on the job safety standards.
Who is Rainier Recruiting?
Rainier Recruiting is a boutique, award winning national staffing agency and executive search firm. Using an approach that “treats every candidate like an executive search”, we offer positions in contract-to-hire, Full-Time, and executive search.
Named the #1 Best Workplace in Washington State in 2022, recognized as a ClearlyRated Best of Staffing firm, and identified as a top recruitment firm by multiple business journals, Rainier Recruiting is fast becoming a respected company. We are no longer the “best recruiters you have never heard of”. Rainier Recruiting is also proud to share our clients have a 93% repeat business rate.
Rainier Recruiting is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent. We engage in socially conscious business practices and believe that diverse, equitable, inclusive, and non-biased talent and recruitment processes are foundational to the success of every organization that we partner with.